I handle major writing assignments or projects by getting a head start and trying to get them done sooner rather than later. I have done projects at the last minute, but I like to get ahead of things and start them earlier if I can. I am pretty confident in my writing ability, and I feel like I have a pretty solid vocabulary and sentence structure. Some of my strengths consist of coming up with good storyline's and outlines, and reading other books and learning how those authors write and using it in my writing, but my weaknesses follow that up with not being able to come up with good or enough details. My view on writing is that it's a vital thing for college. I also enjoy it, depending on what I write about. I hope that I can get better on it, and improve on my details when I have to write a story or essay.
I don't have any questions over the portolio assignment. However, I do have a few apprehensions for it--I want to do the best I can on it, and I want to do above average and get something out of it. The unit I am anticipating the most is the Modernism, Post-Modernism, & The 21st century, so I can learn about how far we have came from the past. Honestly, it is hard to pick a unit I'm not anticipating, but if I had to pick one it would be the Women's Literature & A Changing Society, just because I don't feel that hyped up learning about Women facing struggles in American history. The one that I feel like I'll do good on is the Poetry Unit, because I have recent experience from my Sophomore year. The one I am worried about is the Puritan unit, because it seems like it relates to history; my worst subject.
That's a good way to handle any major project. I wish I always got a headstart on things, but I can understand the plague of procrastination.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you really enjoy personal writing. You're on the right track with looking closely at the WAY other writers handle their craft. Sometimes that can be a good way to pick up some tricks of the trade. Utilizing detail is something that we're going to be sure to focus on early on this year. This first quarter I want to emphasize the importance of writing an analaysis paragraph, something that will then transfer to writing entire essays.
The more work you put into our portfolio, the better you will do. It's also hopefully going to be a good resource for you down the road in other classes and college.
I'm glad to hear you're looking forward to a lot of what we're going to cover. The Puritan unit and the Realism one will focus a lot on history. I'm not a huge fan of history, but these texts really teach it in a different way. I tend to learn more from the literature than from listening to lectures or reading history texts, so I hope that's some relief.
Can't wait to see some of your writing for this class!